The Importance of Teeth for Jawbone Health
When one or more teeth are missing it can lead to bone loss at the site of the gap. This loss of jawbone can develop into additional problems, both with your appearance and your overall health. You may experience pain, problems with your remaining teeth, altered facial appearance, and eventually even the inability to speak and/or eat normally.
In the same way that muscles are maintained through exercise, bone tissue is maintained by use. 天然牙齒嵌入在顎骨，並通過活動，如嚼咬刺激顎骨. 當牙齒缺失, 牙槽骨, or the portion of the jawbone that anchors the teeth into the mouth, no longer receives the necessary stimulation it needs and begins to break down, 或再吸收. The body no longer uses or “needs” 頜骨, so it deteriorates.
Potential Consequences of Tooth and Jawbone Loss
- Problems with remaining teeth, including misalignment, drifting, loosening, and loss
- Collapsed facial profile
- Limited lip support
- Skin wrinkling around the mouth
- Distortion of other facial features
- Jaw (TMJ or temporomandibular joint) 疼痛, facial pain, and headaches
- Difficulty speaking and communicating
- Inadequate nutrition as a result of the inability to chew properly and painlessly
- Sinus expansion